Saturday, June 27, 2020

On the trail of Patrick Cleburne in Wartrace, Tennessee


 Like this blog on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter

Patrick Cleburne
Was Patrick Cleburne a drinker? If so, the Irish-born C.S.A. general may have raised a glass or two of his favorite beverage at the Chockley Tavern in rural Wartrace, Tenn. It was a gathering spot for Confederate officers during the 1863 Tullahoma Campaign. That’s my new friend Blossom (above), who told me and my brother-in-law about the old place (built 1852) during our bike ride stop this afternoon.

Cleburne, who lived in Arkansas, was killed at the Battle of Franklin on Nov. 30, 1864.

Bike ride by the numbers: 20 fairly easy miles, four barking dogs (one with anger issues), one beer in Wartrace.

A good day.


-- Have something to add (or correct) in this post? E-mail me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment