Sunday, April 16, 2023

A lesson on paying it forward

Journalist Bob Smizik made an impression on me long ago.

Like this blog on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter | My YouTube videos

Decades ago, a naive kid from suburban Pittsburgh wrote notes in wonderful, cursive writing to three local sports personalities.

“What do I need to do to become a journalist?” he asked.

Then he waited.

And waited.

Only one of the local sports personalities replied: Bob Smizik of the Pittsburgh Press.

In a note dashed off on a real, honest-to-gawd typewriter, Smizik offered kernels of wisdom and apologized for the typos. The naive kid never forgot his kindness. His mom didn’t either.

When she spotted the bushy-haired Smizik in a grocery store more than a decade later, she thanked him and bragged about her son. Mom stuff, you know.

Nearly 50 years later, the naive teen -— a veteran journalist, full-time schmoozer and wiseacre -- relayed the story to a new friend, who told Smizik. The story touched the old sportswriter all these years later.

The new friend provided that “veteran journalist” with Smizik’s contact info. The two recently connected and laughed about the long-ago note.

“I want you to know,” the once-naive kid said, “how deeply meaningful it was to get that note from you. I’ll never forget that.”

Smizik didn’t remember the sweet, little lady who approached him in the grocery store, but his wife did. That sweet, little lady was my mom, Peggy Banks. The naive kid, well, that was me.

The lessons: Never forget the impact you have on others. A simple kindness goes a long way. And always pay it forward. ❤️


 Have something to add (or correct) in this post? E-mail me here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:45 PM

    Love it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete