Monday, November 02, 2020

Honoring the sacrifice of a Connecticut citizen-soldier

A commemoration certificate issued by the state of Connecticut in 1867.

5th Connecticut Private Phillip Fisher's name on the document. 

Like this blog on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter

When we lived in Connecticut, I bought this large document in an antiques store in Coventry, not far from an ancient cemetery where three 14th Connecticut soldiers who died of Antietam wounds were buried. These beautiful commemoration certificates were given by the state to veterans or their families to honor the sacrifice of citizen-soldiers. This one, issued in 1867, cost me roughly $50. I’m eager to get it framed. 

The document, which includes illustrations of Connecticut-born Admiral Andrew Foote and generals John Sedgwick and Nathaniel Lyon, reads: 

 “The State of Connecticut, desiring to recognize in a permanent and appropriate form the faithful and heroic services of her citizen soldiers, has by unanimous vote of the General Assembly of 1867 directed the undersigned to present to Phillip Fisher, Private of Company K, 5th Regiment, C.V., this Testimonial of Honor, in grateful remembrance of the courage and patriotism by him displayed in the late War for the suppression of rebellion and preservation of Constitutional Liberty.” 

Fisher was wounded on July 20, 1864, at Peachtree Creek, Ga., north of Atlanta. The 20-year-old private died the next day.

In this illustration, a soldier leaves his anguished family behind ...

... and another is welcomed home.

Connecticut native John Sedgwick was killed at Spotsylvania Courthouse.

-- Have something to add, correct? E-mail me at jbankstx@comcast.net

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:35 PM

    Thank you for posting this I have one of these for my family member and I was looking up to see exactly who he was his last name was Hamilton I can’t read exactly the first name I have to try to go down a family tree. But it’s exact same certificate I would love to know more and how you found out more information thank you for blogging

    ReplyDelete