Wednesday, October 11, 2017

'Stairway' to heaven? A visit to Fredericksburg Baptist Church

This ladder leads to the steeple of the Fredericksburg (Va.) Baptist Church.
(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE.)
A Union artillery shell fired from across the Rappahannock River smashed through these beams ... 
... and struck this interior wall in the attic of the church.
Like this blog on Facebook.

Exterior view of the church.
In October 2017, I eagerly anticipated my visit to the Fredericksburg (Va.) Baptist Church, used as a Union hospital and observation point. I couldn't wait to climb into the steeple to admire the view Federal officers had during the Battle of Fredericksburg in the winter of 1862.

What great history!

Shortly after climbing a small ladder into the attic, church administrator Dennis Sacrey pointed out war damage to me. A Union artillery shell from the bombardment of the city on Dec. 11, 1862, had crashed through wooden beams, smashing an interior brick wall. (The church suffered significant war damage,  Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania National Military Park chief historian John Hennessy notes in this post on the excellent Mysteries and Conundrums blog.)

Dennis and I deftly avoided duct work, pipes and wires to make our way to a space near a wall. The ultimate objective awaited. "It's only about 60 feet up there," Sacrey said as he shined a light on the ladder to the historic lookout point. I deliberated for a minute or two. Fear of heights did me in. I chickened out. But I did leave with a souvenir from my brief visit: a splinter in my hand.

A lifelong member of the church, Sacrey has visited the steeple dozens of times. Here are images he took from that fabulous spot:

LOOKING SOUTH. (Steeple photos courtesy Dennis Sacrey)
LOOKING WEST.
LOOKING WEST TOWARD HURKAMP PARK.

From the safety of ground level, I shot the "Now" image below to pair with the 1864 "Then" image by James Gardner. For a large-format version , go to my Then & Now blog here.


Have something to add (or correct) in this post? E-mail me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment