Saturday, July 29, 2017

Then & Now: General James Longstreet at Gettysburg

EARLY JULY 1888: JAMES LONGSTREET AT GETTYSBURG.
(CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE.)
 Like this blog on Facebook.

APRIL 28, 2017: PRESENT-DAY SCENE.
In July 1888, 25 years after the Battle of Gettysburg, former Confederate Lt. General James Longstreet posed on horseback with Daniel Butterfield (on second horse from right in top image), George Meade's former chief of staff, near the summit of Little Round Top. The 155th Pennsylvania monument appears in the right background. In late April 2017, I did my best to match the scene in the long-ago image by Gettysburg-based battlefield photographer William Tipton. Brush, trees and incompetence prevented me from producing a spot-on present-day photo.

Sometime after the 155th Pennsylvania monument was dedicated on Sept. 17, 1886, regiment veterans had a statue added to it. Read more about Longstreet's 1888 Gettysburg visit here on my blog.

Have something to add (or correct) in this post? E-mail me here.

For large-format Then & Now images, go to my blog here.


No comments:

Post a Comment