Thursday, July 04, 2013

Connecticut Yankees at Antietam Pinterest page

Earlier this week, I beefed up my Antietam Pinterest page with 70-plus images.
About a year ago, I decided it would be interesting to account for where every soldier from Connecticut who was killed or mortally wounded at the Battle of Antietam was buried. Possible? Who knows? But I have had fun trying, driving to cemeteries in all corners of the miniature state of Connecticut (and elsewhere), scouring records at the Connecticut State Library and mining the nooks and crannies of the Internet for nuggets of info. In the spring, I made this Excel spreadsheet of Connecticut Antietam deaths (updated June 29, 2013) available for download. It accounts for more than 200 soldiers from the state who died as a result of wounds (or other causes) suffered on Sept. 17, 1862. The spreadsheet includes soldier's name, regiment, company, date of death and family details you can't find in one place anywhere else. In an attempt to keep things interesting here on Banks Mountain, I started this Pinterest page earlier this week, aggregating images of soldiers from Connecticut who were killed or mortally wounded at Antietam as well as photos of their gravestones and memorials. I plan to add to it frequently -- unless I get called away to a card game or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment