Thursday, February 25, 2021

A tony neighborhood today, battlefield in late fall 1864


Like this blog on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter

In this video shot for the Center For Civil War Photography, I stopped along Granny White Pike, where severe fighting occurred during Day 2 of the Battle of Nashville on Dec. 16, 1864. Unsurprisingly, this hallowed ground looks nothing like its 19th-century appearance. It was here in 1906 that artist Howard Pyle did his homework for his epic Nashville battle painting that hangs today in the Minnesota State Capitol Building in St. Paul. Please excuse my slothful appearance -- sometimes chasing history can be grueling. 

Howard Pyle's epic painting of Minnesota troops fighting at the Battle of Nashville hangs
in the Minnesota State Capitol Building in St. Paul. Photo courtesy of Betsy Haag
of the 5th Minnesota Research Group on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another interesting talk.

    Slothful?? Trust me, I have looked far worse on some of my battlefield walks!

    Scott Shuster
    Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete