Monday, September 16, 2024

Podcast: Antietam battle anniversary edition soldier stories


In this special 162nd battle anniversary edition of the podcast, co-hosts Tom McMillan and John Banks dive into some of their favorite soldier stories — from the United States soldier who carved his name into a window sill at the Dunker Church to four soldiers who wrote to loved ones as they lay mortally wounded on the battlefield (and others).

"7 AM at which I am wounded," one of the them, a soldier from Michigan, wrote in his journal. "This is written on the spot wherein I lay. May God bless me and forgive all my sins, through Jesus Christ."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Incredible connection to the stories of those who fought and died at Antietam. Particularly moved by the story of Henry Winters, a simple farmer turned soldier from NY who left his name on the windowsill of the Dunker church. I was just there and traced the carving with my finger; it is speculated he crossed the battlefield to locate or visit with his brother who was in a regiment near the church. This particular detail hit home for me as a brother, for if my brother and I had been placed in similar circumstances 162 years ago, I would have done the same with the utmost determination.

    ReplyDelete