|Nearly 20 feet high, a Celtic cross rests on a granite base.|
|The monument in Rose Woods was dedicated on July 2, 1888. The sculptor was a |
Confederate veteran who fought at Gettysburg.
|A closeup of a life-sized Irish wolfhound at the foot of the Celtic cross.|
|"This, in the matter of size and structure, truthfully represents the Irish wolf-hound, a dog which has been|
extinct for more than a hundred years," reads a small plaque below the dog.
|Two wolfhounds were mascots for the Irish Brigade's 69th New York.|
|A plaque honoring the 14th New York Independent Battery.|
|A closeup of a dew-covered artillerist in action.|
|The 14th New York Independent Battery lost five men at the Bloody Angle on July 3, 1863.|
|A plaque on the monument notes the brigade's war-time service. The Irish Brigade suffered 17 killed|
and 41 wounded at Gettysburg. Eighteen soldiers were listed as missing.