Friday, January 27, 2012

Valuable Civil War relic ... or not

Is this an ammunition pouch ... or something else?

You are looking at a ... err ... ahh, well, I don't know what the heck you're looking at. This was given to me more than 10 years ago by parents, who picked it up at an antiques store somewhere in the South. It might be Civil War .... and then again it might not. I collect hard images of Civil War soldiers, so this item doesn't fall under my area of expertise. It's made of leather with a thin brass plate and upraised buttons across the outside flap of the pouch. The belt, which includes a small metal buckle, also is made of leather.

Was it used to carry ammunition? Is it government issue? Or is this just something some backwoodsman crafted to use to go hunt squirrels?

Perhaps one of you can tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment